Become a Search and Rescue Reserve Deputy Sheriff
Help Us Save Lives! Are you someone who...
* Wants to contribute to their local community?
* Enjoys teamwork and the outdoors?
* Is physically fit and loves a challenge?
* Has a desire to help those in need?
* Enjoys accomplishments and achievements?
* Wants to make a difference in the lives of others?
The Antelope Valley Search and Rescue Team was designated a first responder under the United States Homeland Security and it is our mission to respond to calls for assistance for people that have become lost, injured or in imminent danger. We are looking for a few good people who can qualify to WEAR OUR STAR!
What kind of Incidences and Operations do we provided services:
* Lost persons
* Car over the side
* Missing / Stranded Hikers
* Snowboarder / Skier missing / out of bounds (search and airlift)
* Swift Water Rescues
* Off road accidents / cliff rescues
* Cave / Mine Rescues
* Snow and Ice Rescues
* And much more.....
All of our team members go through Search and Rescue specific training in addition to the LASD level II reserve academy training:
* Emergency Medical Technician - 1 certification
* Rope Rescue Techniques and Procedures
* Rescue Vehicle Operations
-Over-the-side Rescue Winch Operations
-Rescue Litter Rigging
* Ice and Snow Rescue Operations
* Search Operations
* Helitac Operations
-Insertion and Extraction Operations (rappel and hoist)
-Small Helicopter Insertion and Extraction
* Motorcycle and Quad Operations
* Swift Water Rescue Training
* And more equipment and techniques used for search and rescue operations.
Who are the members that make up the team?
The Antelope Valley Search and Rescue Team is comprised of dedicated volunteers from the communities that make up the Antelope Valley, chiefly the communities of Lancaster, Palmdale and Quartz Hill. Our team members come from a variety of professions and experiences which brings many different skills to the team. While maintaining certifications and training to conduct search and rescue operations, each member also has a full-time occupation outside the team. Our member's professions include electricians, teachers, construction workers, security professionals, business owners, government employees, mothers and fathers among many others. Being a member of our team is challenging and exciting! Join the AV Search and Rescue team and help us save lives!
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
1. Be a United States Citizen.
2. Be at least 20 years of age and no more than 54 1/2 years of age at the time of appointment.
3. Be a high school graduate or equivalent.
4. Possess a valid California Class "C" Driver's License or higher.
5. Be gainfully employed, a full time student or retired.
6. Be available to attend the Sheriff's Department Reserve Academy. (nights and weekends)
7. Be willing to subcribe to the oath of affirmation of allegiance for public employees.
All applicants undergo a thorough background investigation which includes a fingerprint search and polygraph examination. Examples of disqualifying factors include:
1. Any felony convictions.
2. Job related misdemeanor onvictions.
3. Certain serious traffic convictions or patterns of traffic violations.
Each applicant must be in good general physical condition, fee from disease or defects that would interfere with the satisfactory performance of the duties of this position.
Applicants must meet the following physical standards:
Vision: Correctable to 20/30 in each eye.
Color Vision: Anything other than minor hue impairment is disqualifying.
Hearing: There must be no greater than a 25dB loss in the better ear as averaged over the test frequencies of 500,1000, 2000, and 3000 Hz. There may nit be a oeak loss at any of the test frequencies greater than 30 dB at 500 Hz.
If you are interested in becoming a Search and Rescue Reserve Deputy Sheriff, please contact:
Sergeant Paul Dino